You Might Be Playing at Personal Defense If…

1. YOU ONLY CARRY WHEN YOU THINK YOU NEED IT. This is one of the more bizarre indications of not taking personal defense seriously. People go to all the trouble to get a Concealed Carry License and then they don’t carry all the time. How in the world can anyone know when they might have to defend themselves? For goodness sakes, if you think you are going to get into a gunfight, get a repeating rifle or shotgun and forget about a pistol! Or, just don’t go there at all. We only carry handguns because they are relatively easy to transport. All of that good training and all of those neat guns won’t do you a bit of good unless you have the gun with you.

2. YOU CARRY A LITTLE GUN AND PRACTICE WITH A BIG GUN. These folks generally go to the range to impress others and to make themselves feel good. It should go without saying that a fellow ought to practice (and practice a lot!) with what he carries. This is especially true with the smaller defense guns. They are much harder to manage efficiently and reliably, and are much more difficult to shoot accurately. The smaller the defense gun, the more you need to practice with it.

3. YOU SPEND MORE MONEY ON GUNS & GEAR THAN YOU DO ON PRACTICE AMMO & TRAINING. It’s been said, and rightly so, that owning a violin doesn’t make you a violinist. And owning the fanciest pistol is not going to automatically declare you the winner of a gunfight. A person must learn how to handle his pistol accurately and reliably. He must then learn how to really fight with it. In addition, the ability to shoot well is a rapidly diminishing skill. The smart thing is to get good training and then practice what you’ve learned on a regular basis.

4. YOU GET YOUR TACTICS & OTHER DEFENSIVE ADVICE FROM INTERNET FORUMS. Internet forums are, at best, entertaining and nothing more. The anonymity is the perfect venue for Internet Commandos to pontificate about things that they know nothing about. In reality, a lot of them haven’t been in a fight (of any kind) since their third-grade scuffle on the school ground. You’ll have a lot less grief if you spend good money to get professional training. You wouldn’t take your flight training from an instructor who has never even been in an airplane, would you?

This entry was posted in Guns, Personal Defense. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to You Might Be Playing at Personal Defense If…

1. Derek says:

I agree on points 1,2 and 3 completely. As to Internet advice and tactics, well, I partially disagree. There is a lot of REAL professionals that offer tips on tactics and training. If you have a good feel for your weapons and a basic knowledge of gunfighting/defense you can generally tell the good advice from the bad. If you see a tip online try it out next time your at the range with a partner and evaluate it’s benefits and it’s downsides. There is a lot of good advice out there. If you don’t practice at all anyway even the good advice is useless anyway.

2. Jim Wilson says:

The trouble is, Derek, that people don’t know what they don’t know.

3. Derek says:

That’s exactly why training with a partner and occasionally a professional instructor is necessary. Somebody can say, this is why that won’t work or this will work better. Pilots don’t just hop in a plane and fly. They are trained by knowledgeable instructors and practice before they ever go solo. Guns are just like a plane, learn from a pro and practice. The best way to find a knowledgeable instructor is to ask a few older cops, they will send you to someone who knows their stuff. If they are like me they want you to be well prepared in your safety, handling and operation of firearms. Like I said, I partially disagree with #4. As a matter of fact, I believe there is some tips from a guy named Jim Wilson on line who has some credentials to back his Internet posts up 😉 thanks for your time, from a deputy to a sheriff…

4. Jim Wilson says:

The difference, Derek, is that I don’t post on forums, I post under my real name, and my bio is at the top of the page so folks can check me out. My issue is with the anonymous Internet Commandos and other individuals who post from their fantasy world.

5. Derek says:

Point taken, mall ninjas is the term I was thinking of. It’s a shame common sense is not always present. To quote one of the most ridiculous statements I’ve ever heard “of course it’s true. I saw it on the Internet!”

6. Jim Wilson says:

Exactly!!!

7. Dan Doyle says:

Jim,
    What kind of criteria should a person use to look for a local professional for training? For most folks going to one of the nationally recognized self defense institutes is cost prohibitive, so finding someone close to home that can instruct, or help guide you is the only real option.
    For me I shoot occaisionally here on the farm and practice, but there’s no real program, mostly just maintaining my confidence that I can hit what I aim at! And I think that there’s lots of other folks in the same boat.

8. Jim Wilson says:

Dan, we generally find the money to do what we really want to do. You have to decide how much your personal safety, and that of your family, is worth.

9. Pingback: You Might Be Playing at Personal Defense If... ...

• Travis Boggus says:

Sheriff, I have been in the retail gun business a long time and know exactly what you mean! I have often heard the same comment and my response is something like, “Do you only carry auto insurance when you think you are going to need it? And cancel on the days you don’t?” The other comment I also hate to hear is that a buyer “only wants a gun to scare away attackers”.

10. Kirk Mooneyham says:

Sometimes circumstances dictate that a person can’t carry all the time. For instance, I have been attending a community college for the past year. The laws in Texas say I can’t have the weapon outside the vehicle while there, and I’m a generally law-abiding type. We have good laws in Texas, but they could certainly be better.

• Osborn says:

You have that partially correct, if you have a CHL that is. The Texas law says you can not carry on the premises of an educational facility, and then further defibes premesis as such:
      3) “Premises” means a building or a p ortion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

Meaning you can’t enter any building, but can pretty much go any where on campus. Although if your attend classes then effectively you have only one choice, leave it in your car.

11. Pingback: The Gunsite Experience | Sheriff Jim Wilson

12. Pingback: Training or Playing? | Sheriff Jim Wilson

13. Latisha says:

A wonderful job. Super helpful inmonfatior.